New Cisco reports show that global mobile data use almost tripled between 2009 and 2010. It’s been tripling every year for the last few years, with video taking up an increasing amount of traffic. By the end of this year, it’s predicted that more than half of all mobile traffic will be video.
By 2015, it’s estimated that more people will access the internet through their phones than through their computers. As a matter of fact, a lot of this increased traffic will come from people who don’t even have electricity at home!
Of course, much of this is due to an explosive increase in smartphone sales over the past few years. And it’s not surprising that Apple’s iOS and Android devices are the leaders. But did you know, iPhone users are more likely to:
- Pay for digital content
- Use their phones to make mobile payments
- Watch more video
Apple’s Net Worth in Perspective
Apple is worth more than $340 billion dollars. Buzzfeed helps put that in perspective for us with a list of surprising things that don’t amount to Apple’s net worth.
- ALL the illegal drugs in the world (worth about $321 billion)
- The entire economy of the wealthy, millionaire-filled country of Singapore ($318 billion)
- The Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Stephen King, and Twilight franchises combined ($49 billion)
- All the farm-rich land in Iowa and South Dakota, at a price of $4200 per acre
- 10 years of silver production
- The economic cost of obesity in the U.S. ($300 billion)
- The GDP of Denmark, ranked 5th in the world for GDP per capita ($337 billion)
- 45 days’ worth of global oil consumption, roughly $7 billion a day
- The combined GDP of Israel, Syria, Jordan, and Lebanon
- The Great Wall of China , at $.52 a brick
As a business, mobile-optimizing your website is an absolute necessity to get and stay in the game. And mobile media development is a great place to focus on to draw people in. Mobile media — consumable content accessible on cell phones — introduces consumers to your content and your business quickly and effectively, and on an emotional level.