“Given the announcements and roll out of new social media advertising programs on platforms including Google+, Facebook, and Twitter, we wanted to investigate where advertisers will have the highest potential to engage with users based on CTR (Click Through Rate),” a representative for Chitika said.
The study measured the Click Through Rate (the likelihood of a user clicking on an ad) of different social media users, taking data from referrers. Essentially, what it looked at was which social media advertising platforms were bringing in the most traffic. It examined which social media networks provided the Click Through links that landed users on websites in their sample. For example, if a user saw a link on Facebook and clicked it to get to iquariusmedia.com, Facebook would be considered the referrer. The data was narrowed to include the Click Through Rate of Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ — and it was this data that was the basis for the report.
The compiled data set included millions of impressions from social media, which yields the Click Through Rate of the average user on the three social media networks.
In the same report, it was stated that social media users click on ads on Google+ and Twitter with about the same frequency (Google+ at .1% and Twitter at .09%). Facebook measured a .24% Click Through Rate.
There were several key points about social media advertising addressed in the report.
- The best social media network to run an ad campaign on is highly dependent on the type of campaign being run.
- A time-sensitive ad campaign may benefit from Twitter’s promoted trends
- Simply using Google+ to promote products or services may have new benefits to search visibility
- It is possible to optimize for all segments of web traffic
“As always, a cost-benefit analysis is key to identifying which platform (if any) is worthwhile for your product or service,” Chitika says, “…and when making the final decision on an ad campaign, it is essential to keep your target market in mind.”
Optimizing Your Social Media Ad Campaign
As marketers, we are excited about the possibilities of optimizing your ad campaign for different types of audiences. We are incredibly optimistic about Google+’s new functionalities and interconnectivity with Google Search — and what that can mean for your marketing strategy and search visibility. We like the growing sophistication of analytical tools for Facebook and Twitter and are confident that they can help us design an ad campaign that is optimized for you as well as for your product or service.
What to do:
1. Call us to tell us what product or service you’d like to promote.
2. We’ll make our recommendations about which social media networks to run your ad campaign on.
3. Then we’ll work with you to custom-fit the ad campaign around your needs and budget.
4. After you make your final choices, we’ll execute the plan within hours.